The Massachusetts Legislature established the University of Massachusetts Boston in 1964. The second university in the UMass system, UMass Boston opened its doors in 1965 at a renovated building in Park Square in downtown Boston. The university moved to its present campus on Columbia Point in Dorchester in 1974.
Photographs in this collection help to document the history of the university. Included in this growing collection are photographs from the Boston Normal School, one of the antecedent institutions to UMass Boston. The Boston Normal School was designed to train women teachers for the Boston Public Schools and became a separate entity when it moved from Girls’ High to the top floors of the Rice School in 1876. The school eventually moved into a new building at 625 Huntington Avenue, built in 1906. The Boston Normal was renamed Boston Teachers College in 1922, and by 1952 the Teachers College became part of the state college system. Boston State College merged with the University of Massachusetts Boston in 1982.