About the Thompson's Island Collection
This collection presents photographs and visual material from the Thompson's Island Collection. A residential school for boys has been located on Thompson's Island since 1835 when the Boston Asylum for Indigent Boys and the Boston Farm School Society merged and moved to the Island as the Boston Asylum and Farm School for Indigent Boys, popularly called the Boston Farm School. In 1907 its name was changed to the Farm and Trades School to reflect a change in its mission. In 1955 it became Thompson's Academy, a college preparatory school for urban boys. Thompson's Academy closed in 1975.